Cucumber is a software testing tool that fully supports the BDD (Behavior Driven Development) framework. It describes the application behavior by using simple and comprehensible English text, it is defined by a language that is referred to as Gherkin. Cucumber allows for the automation of functional validation that is easily read and understood. The cucumber was originally implemented in Ruby and then further extended to the Java framework. Both tools offer support to native JUnit.
In order to get greater benefits of software testing, businesses and organizations are nowadays taking a step forward. They are now implementing important acceptance test situations while the project development is still in progress. This approach is generally known as Behavior Driven Development (BDD).
Behavior Driven Development presents software developers with an opportunity to produce test scripts from both the customer’s and the developer's perspective as well. So in the beginning, software developers, QAs, project managers, user acceptance testers and the product owner (stockholder), all come together and brainstorm about which test situations and scenarios should be used in order to describe this software/application as being successful. This way they come up with a group of test scenarios. All these test scripts are written in simple English language, so it serves also serves the purpose of documentation.
1. Abstracts The Ugly: Cucumber's syntax can pipe directly into code that handles all of that for you, so it doesn't slow you down. Anytime low-level "ugly" code can be abstracted away, there's less to think about.
2. Minimize Context Switch: There's a cost to the context switching that happens when you take human-think and transform it into computer-code. With Cucumber, that cost is minimized, and in some cases, eliminated entirely. Since Feature files are written in English (which is both human-think and computer-speak), with the right architecture the focus is locked on the task at hand, since there's no mental people-to-processor translation.
3. Reduce Code Inconsistency: With Cucumber's ability to understand regular expressions, you can call a single piece of code in a multitude of ways. Computer languages can be a blessing and a curse because they let you write the same code in an infinite number of ways. This flexibility means that two developers might create problematic inconsistencies by writing code in two different ways—even though it's supposed to do the same thing.
4. Increase Reach: Cucumber's ability to wrap a readable layer around the code increases the reach significantly. Junior and senior-level developers, business analysts, project managers, and manual and automation testers can all make use of tools when the working-layer language is English instead of code.
There are lots of features of the Cucumber Testing framework and some of them are:
1. Feature Files: A feature file in the Cucumber framework is an indispensable part of cucumber that is is used to write acceptance tests and test automation steps. This can be used as a live document. The steps are the application specification. All the feature files in Cucumber end with the ".feature" extension.
2. Feature: This conveys the information about the high-level business functionality and the scope of the Application under test. everyone should be able to understand the purpose of the feature file by reading the first Feature step.
3. Scenario: Essentially, a scenario is used to represents a particular functionality that is currently under test. By viewing the scenario, the user should be able to fully understand the purpose behind the scenario and what the particular test is all about.
4. Scenario Outline: The scenario outlines are used when the same test has to be carried out with a different data set. An example is when we have to test the login functionality with many different sets of usernames and passwords.
5. Tags: The Cucumber testing framework by default covers all the scenarios in all the feature files. In real-world projects, there could be hundreds or thousands of feature files which are not needed to run at all times.
6. JUnit Runner: To run a particular feature file, Cucumber makes use of the standard JUnit Runner and it specifies its tags in "@Cucumber". Options. Several tags can be given by making use of a separate comma. Here you can define the path of the report and the type of report that you want to generate.
7. Cucumber Report: Cucumber produces its own format of HTML. Nevertheless, better reporting can be carried out by using Jenkins or the bamboo tool.
1. Data Generation: Cucumber converts your English logic to computer code. The approach has the advantages that it's easier to read and produce, more people can help produce it, and more people will have visibility into what data is used for testing.
2. Fuzz Testing: Explore different test data, using different scenarios.
3. Database Manipulation: Cucumber lets you enter data simply, and the underlying code takes care of interacting with the database.
4. Code Generation: As market demands increase, you need to use frameworks to construct software quickly. Cucumber generates code based on instructions in the feature file.
There are many benefits and advantages of using the Cucumber testing framework and some of them are:
1. Cucumber fully supports several other languages like Ruby and Java.net.
2. Cucumber acts as a link between the technical and business language. We can achieve this by creating a test case in regular English text.
3. Cucumber allows the test script to be designed and written without any knowledge of coding. It allows the engagement of non-programmers as well.
4. Cucumber serves the mission of the end-to-end test framework, not like other testing tools.
5. Due to having a very simple test script architectural structure, Cucumber provides code reusability.
1. Automated testing
2. Career opportunities and advancement
3. Entrepreneurial opportunity and consultancy
4. Increase your earning potential
5. Demand for professional testers using cucumber software
6. Foster collaboration among teams, help teams in keeping the business goals
In the Full Course, you will learn everything you need to know about Cucumber Testing with an accredited Certification to showcase your knowledge/skill gained.
Cucumber - Introduction
Cucumber - Environment
Cucumber - Gherkins
Cucumber - Features
Cucumber - Scenarios
Cucumber - Annotations
Cucumber - Scenario Outline
Cucumber - Tags
Cucumber - Data Tables
Cucumber - Comments
Cucumber - Hooks
Cucumber - Command-Line Options
Cucumber - JUnit Runner
Cucumber - Reports
Cucumber - Debugging
Cucumber - Java Testing
Cucumber - Ruby Testing
Cucumber - Video Lectures
Cucumber - Exams and Certification
Login & Study At Your Pace
500+ Relevant Tech Courses
300,000+ Enrolled Students
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!
The Scholarship offer is a discount program to take our Course Programs and Certification valued at $70 USD for a reduced fee of $7 USD. - Offer Closes Soon!!
Copyrights © 2020. SIIT - Scholars International Institute of Technology. A Subsidiary of Scholars Global Tech. All Rights Reserved.
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!