Ruby is an object-oriented, reflective, dynamic, all-purpose computer programming language. Everything in Ruby is seen as an object except for the blocks of code but there are replacements that are available for it, an example is lambda and procs. The core objective of the development of Ruby was to make it act as a sensible buffer between human-computer programmers and the underlying computing machinery.
Ruby was designed and developed in the mid-1990s by Yukihiro "Matz" Matsumoto in Japan and it is a dynamically typed language that makes use of garbage collection. Ruby supports several computer programming paradigms, which include object-oriented, procedural, and functional programming. According to the developer of Ruby, it was greatly influenced by the following language Smalltalk, Perl, Eiffel, Basic, Ada, and Lisp.
Ruby is viewed as a flexible programming language since it allows its users to freely modify and change its parts. Basically, every part of Ruby can be redefined or removed, at will. Already existing parts can be added upon. Ruby tries not to create limits for the coder.
There are many features of Ruby and some of them are:
1. Ruby is an open-source computer programming language and it is freely available on the Web, but it is subject to a license.
2. Ruby is an all-purpose, dynamically typed interpreted computer programming language.
3. Ruby is referred to as a true object-oriented programming language because, in Ruby, everything is referred to as an object.
4. Ruby is a server-side scripting language that is very similar to Python and PERL.
5. Ruby can be used to develop scripts for Common Gateway Interface (CGI).
6. Ruby can also be embedded into Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) to be used on the web.
7. Ruby has a very clean and easy to understand syntax that allows a new software developer to learn very easily and quickly and easily.
8. Ruby has a syntax that is similar to that of many software programming languages such as python, C++ and Perl.
9. Ruby is a language that is scalable and large programs can be written in Ruby are they are easily maintainable.
10. Ruby can also be used for developing intranet and Internet applications.
11. Ruby can also be installed in POSIX and Windows environments.
12. Ruby offers support for many GUI tools such as GTK, Tcl/Tk, and OpenGL.
13. Ruby can easily be connected to various database management systems like MySQL, DB2, Oracle, and Sybase.
14. Ruby has a rich collection of in-built functions, which can be directly used in Ruby scripts.
The following are some of the reasons why you should learn Ruby:
1. Ruby is still among the top 10 computer programming languages: It is very unlikely that Ruby will go out of use anytime soon as it is still being featured among GitHub’s top programming languages of 2019. What’s more? big organizations such as Airbnb and GitHub are still using Ruby on Rails.
2. The community is active and supportive: The Ruby onRails framework has over 3,500 contributors on GitHub. regular updates and new gems are created by developers to ensure that the applications that are created using the framework can be developed more easily and presented more quickly. The active community constantly shares experiences and problems in troubleshooting. With over 300,000 questions on Stackoverflow, it is very unlikely that you will have a really hard time finding a solution for a coding problem that you are experiencing. Not only Ruby but also Ruby on Rails has become very mature over the years and its documentation has become very detailed and extensive which is a great starting point for novices and newcomers to the language.
3. Ruby constantly evolves: With updates at least twice a year, Ruby developers make sure that the language is not dying and that is constantly evolving. Despite the fact that the performance issues will not possibly go away any time soon due to some basic features of Ruby (especially the dynamic nature of ruby), the release of Ruby 3 in 2020 is expected to bring out several improvements that can make Ruby become significantly faster.
4. It’s really great for startups, internal tools, prototyping, and whatnot: Thanks to the simple, intuitive, and readable syntax of ruby why is resulting in much higher productivity, Ruby has been a great fit software stack for startups or any company that would like to produce (and extend) software products as soon as possible. Faster development with ruby means better savings (a quicker time-to-market), which is very important for startups that have a limited budget. This way, more money can be invested in the development of extra stuff like updating Features and marketing the product.
5. Ruby has a well-established code style recommendations: Ruby is a mature computer programming language and a stable software technology, it brings more to the picture, more than simply being ‘trendy’. It is still possible to write bad code in Ruby, and some say that it is fairly easy as the language is very flexible, it allows achieving the same result in several ways.
6. Developer happiness: A nearly endless amount of libraries, frameworks, and resources for learning, a helpful and very active developer community, a well established best practices, readable syntax, and a very beautiful code joined together, makes Ruby a software programming language that is a pleasure to work with.
7. Job Opportunities and Career Advancement.
8. Entrepreneurial Opportunities and Consultancy.
There are many benefits of Ruby and some of them are:
1. Ruby supports multi-paradigm meaning that you can do Functional, Object-Oriented, and Imperative programming.
2. Ruby programming is very flexible and expressive.
3. Ruby supports multi-platform, you can install and run Ruby programs on various OS like Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, Android, etc.
4. Ruby is well mature, fully-maintained, and battle-tested by the largest websites in the world.
5. Ruby has a rich collection of gems/libraries/plugins.
6. Ruby has an awesome testing infrastructure.
7. Ruby ensures that your development process is more productive.
8. Ruby is well versed in web development, scripting, system administration, back-end development.
Ruby - Introduction
Ruby - Overview
Ruby - Environment Setup
Ruby - Syntax
Ruby - Classes and Objects
Ruby - Variables
Ruby - Operators
Ruby - Comments
Ruby - IF...ELSE
Ruby - Loops
Ruby - Methods
Ruby - Blocks
Ruby - Modules
Ruby - Strings
Ruby - Arrays
Ruby - Hashes
Ruby - Date & Time
Ruby - Ranges
Ruby - Iterators
Ruby - File I/O
Ruby - Exceptions
Ruby - Object Oriented
Ruby - Regular Expressions
Ruby - Database Access
Ruby - Web Applications
Ruby - Sending Email
Ruby - Socket Programming
Ruby - Ruby/XML, XSLT
Ruby - Web Services
Ruby - Tk Guide
Ruby - Ruby/LDAP Tutorial
Ruby - Multithreading
Ruby - Built-in Functions
Ruby - Predefined Variables
Ruby - Predefined Constants
Ruby - Associated Tools
Ruby - Video Lectures
Ruby - Exams And Certification
Login & Study At Your Pace
500+ Relevant Tech Courses
300,000+ Enrolled Students
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!
The Scholarship offer is a discount program to take our Course Programs and Certification valued at $70 USD for a reduced fee of $7 USD. - Offer Closes Soon!!
Copyrights © 2020. SIIT - Scholars International Institute of Technology. A Subsidiary of Scholars Global Tech. All Rights Reserved.
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!