Fire Protection Engineering is the application of science together with several engineering principles to protect humans, industrial materials, property, and environments from the hazardous and destructive effects of smoke and fire. It completely includes engineering which focuses on fire detection, fire suppression, and mitigation and fire safety engineering which uniquely concentrates on human behavior and maintaining a sustainable and achievable environment for evacuation from a fire.
Fire Protection Engineers find out various risks and design safeguards that help in preventing, controlling, and taking down the effects of fires. Fire engineers help architects, owners of buildings and the developers in evaluating the life safety of buildings and property protection goals. Fire engineers are also employed as fire investigators in organizations, including such very large-scale situations as the analysis of the collapse of the World Trade Center. NASA makes use of fire engineers in its space program to help improve the safety of the lives and equipment in their program. Fire Engineers are also made used to provide 3rd party review for fire engineering solutions that are performance-based which are submitted in support of local building regulation applications.
Fire Engineers, like their ‘relatives’ in other scientific and engineering disciplines, go through a formal course of education and continuing professional development to get and maintain their competence. Their education is typically made up of foundation studies in physics, mathematics, chemistry, and technical writing. Professional engineering studies train their students on acquiring proficiency in statistics, material science, thermodynamics, dynamics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, engineering economics, Systems in engineering, reliability, ethics, and environmental psychology. Studies in combustion, the design of fire suppression systems, probabilistic assessment of risk or risk management, building fire safety, fire alarm systems, and the application and interpretation of model building codes, and the measurement and simulation of fire phenomena complete most academic curriculum of Fire Engineers.
Managing fire safety starts with the primary phase in the design of buildings and it continues through to the handover to the owner.
1. Automatic Fire Sprinklers: One of the most important components of a fire protection system is automatic fire sprinklers, a sprinkler is activated by the heat put off by the fire once it reaches a certain temperature at the ceiling around that particular head. There are several types of fire sprinklers. Wet Pipe sprinkler systems are filled with water at all times, allowing for quick-fire suppression. They are the most common type of sprinkler and are both cost-efficient and low maintenance.
2. Standpipes: They are installed in the stairways of buildings that exceed a certain height or size, but can sometimes be located throughout the walls of the entire structure, providing coverage on every floor. Like automatic fire sprinklers, they are built into the initial construction of a building.
3. Fire Department Connections: These are usually included in the initial creation of the standpipes to provide an extra source of water to the building. Fire department connections are utilized by the firefighters on the scene to either supply water to the standpipes or supplement the building’s already existing water supply. This additional water can be sourced from the fire truck itself or from a hydrant that can tap into the water the building’s standpipes may not have access to.
4. Fire Alarm Systems: These are installed in every room of a building and are highly regulated by fire safety laws. Generally, these can be automatic or manual alarm systems. Fire alarm systems are put in place to alert a building’s occupants in the event of a fire.
5. Smoke Control Systems: These are generally installed in the initial construction of a building as well, and work in conjunction with sprinkler systems to prevent as much damage as possible to the structural integrity of a building. Through the application of both physical barriers and mechanical systems, smoke control systems work to limit the spread of smoke through a building, ideally limiting the amount of damage the smoke can do to both the building and its occupants.
There are many features of Fire Protection Engineering and some of them are:
1. Fire Alarm Systems.
2. Smoke Control Systems.
3. Fire Command Center.
4. Fire Department Connections.
5. Fire Pumps.
6. Post-Fire Smoke Purge.
7. Auxiliary Radio Communication System (ARCS).
There are many benefits and advantages of Fire Protection Engineering and some of them are:
1. Knowledge of Fire Protection Engineering helps to safeguards life and can also help to limit damage to lives and property from fire.
2. Fire Protection Engineering supports innovative architectural design without reducing the safety of those designs.
3. Fire Protection Engineering makes sure of statutory approval for very complex and innovative building designs.
4. With Fire Protection Engineering a very significant construction cost savings can be achieved if it is introduced during the early stages of the building design;
5. Fire Protection Engineering ensures the safety of building designs without over-design and unnecessary complexity.
6. Fire Protection Engineering provides reassurance to the team in charge of design that all aspects of fire safety have been considered from a safety and health compliance perspective.
1. Career Opportunities And Advancement
2. Increase Your Earning Potential
3. Opportunity For Work Travel
4. Work In Different Environment
Fire Protection Engineering - Introduction
Fire Protection Engineering - System Functions
Performance-Based Fire Protection Design
Prescriptive Fire Protection Design
Interfacing With the Other Disciplines
Fire Protection for New and Existing Buildings
Writing Fire Protection Specifications
Exams And Certification
Login & Study At Your Pace
500+ Relevant Tech Courses
300,000+ Enrolled Students
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!
The Scholarship offer is a discount program to take our Course Programs and Certification valued at $70 USD for a reduced fee of $7 USD. - Offer Closes Soon!!
Copyrights © 2020. SIIT - Scholars International Institute of Technology. A Subsidiary of Scholars Global Tech. All Rights Reserved.
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!