Computer Security is the combined steps and measures taken specifically to detect and stop unauthorized access to a computer system. It is also a process of securing data items that are sensitive to the computer from hackers and intruders.
Computer Security protects computer systems and information from harm, theft, and unauthorized use. There are methods, software, and techniques involved to enable system security, safeguard computing resources, enable data integrity, restrict access to authorized users, and retain data confidentiality.
Computer Security is a global demand to protect our computer systems from the malicious attackers from doing any damage to our hardware, software as well as disruption of the services provided.
Many people aren't aware of the cyber threats lurking on the World Wide Web, i.e., the internet. Have you ever thought of what would happen if all your credential information like username, password, credit card number, financial transactions, etc. is leaked from the internet.
Some of the reasons Computer Security is very important include:
1. Protection of personal and sensitive information
2. It helps prevent viruses and malware from attacking your computer system, which allows programs to run quicker and smoother.
3. Monitor and secure critical business processes.
4. To keep all the computer systems, network or software secure from the malicious attacks and keep the online information and data secure.
5. To secure vital information and sensitive data in corporate environment that uses computers.
The components of a computer system that needs to be protected are:
Hardware: This is the physical part of the computer, like the system memory and disk drive
Firmware: This is the permanent software that is designed into a hardware device's nonvolatile memory and is mostly invisible to the user.
Software: This is the component built using programming languages that offer services, like operating system, word processor, the internet browser to the user.
Computer Security plays a major role in securing our files, online accounts using password and complex encryptions.
Set Strong Password: This is actually the first line of defense to employ in computer security. The use of weak passwords would allow hackers to guess them easily and gain access to private user credentials and use them to get monetary benefits.
Backing up data: The second most important key to cyber-security is the backing up of data. This is done by saving a copy of your existing data on an external hard-disk so that if your device is stolen or compromised, your backup data would be a savior.
Protecting Wireless Network: All the wireless networks associated with businesses and individuals should be protected with a strong password. This prevents hackers from accessing or hijacking the wireless business network. Make sure that the wireless network is encrypted.
Some of the advantages of computer security includes:
1. It provides protection from hackers and intruders.
2. It helps to secure against data loss and theft.
3. It reduces the chance of getting virus attacks from the internet with the help of antivirus.
4. It reduces the chance of unauthorized access.
5. It allows the encryption of data that secures the content being sent or communicated.
6. It creates job opportunities for computer security experts.
7. It can serve as a source of self-employment.
8. It allows employees to work safely in workplaces.
9. It gives adequate privacy to users.
10. It minimizes the cost of computer maintenance because computer freezing and crashes are reduced.
1. Information Sharing Security: This talks about the security of information, such as the type or level of information we share without knowing, how dangerous it could be to one's company or to one’s self, which implies that more care and caution has to be taken in divulging sensitive information and the person who is requesting such information must have the necessary or appropriate clearance or authorization.
2. Multiple Layers Security: This is important as it helps to tighten the security of a computer or software application. Multiple Layers Security helps to frustrate the intruder or hacker activities because it gives the hacker a hard time trying to penetrate knowing that after one layer there are still many other layers to try to penetrate.
3. Security Softwares: The use of security software such as Antivirus, Firewalls and Antimalware to protects against all sort of Viruses and Malwares like Trojans, Worms that could harm or lead to loss of useful pieces of information on the computer.
4. Encryption Security: This is the process of providing adequate encryption layers such as:
A. SSL - Secure Socket Layer which provides encryption between clients and servers over the network or internet.
B. SSH - Secure Shell which provides encryption between host and host over the internet.
5. Back-Up Systems: This is the necessity of backing up one's data and information just in case the unexpected happens. Back-ups Security can be done via the following:
A. Local Backups: such as External Hard-Drives, Flash Drives, CD, DVD and other Removable Disks.
B. Online Backups: such as Cloud Backups, Server Backups, Network Attached Storage (NAS) and Storage Area Network (SAN).
6. Security Policies: As a system administrator, it is important to formulate policies that guides computer usages which ranges from:
A. User Policy,
B. I.T Policy,
C. Permissive Policy,
D. Prudent Policy,
E. Acceptance User Policy,
F. User Account Policy,
G. Special Access Policy,
H. Remote Access Policy,
I. Firewall Management Policy.
Some of the common Computer Security daily practices include:
1. Never share passwords or passphrases.
2. Do not click random links.
3. Deploy encryption whenever available.
4. Remove unnecessary programs or applications that are not in use.
5. Always scan your computers with Antiviruses and Antimalwares.
6. Always run Automatic Updates.
7. Always run a Disk clean up and Defragmentation.
8. Always clear browser history and cache when using public computer.
In the Full Course you will learn everything you need to know about Computer Security with Diploma Certificate to showcase your knowledge for career advancement.
Computer Security - Introduction/Overview
Computer Security - Elements
Computer Security - Terminologies
Computer Security - Layers
Computer Security - Securing OS
Computer Security - Antiviruses
Computer Security - Malware
Computer Security - Encryption
Computer Security - Data Backup
Computer Security - Disaster Recovery
Computer Security - Network
Computer Security - Policies
Computer Security - Checklist
Computer Security - Legal Compliance
Computer Security - Exams and Certification
Login & Study At Your Pace
500+ Relevant Tech Courses
300,000+ Enrolled Students
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!
The Scholarship offer is a discount program to take our Course Programs and Certification valued at $70 USD for a reduced fee of $7 USD. - Offer Closes Soon!!
Copyrights © 2020. SIIT - Scholars International Institute of Technology. A Subsidiary of Scholars Global Tech. All Rights Reserved.
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!