Computer Engineering is a branch of engineering that combines computer science and electronic engineering for the development and maintenance of computer hardware and software.
Three Hundred years back in history, great philosophers and mathematicians like Leibnitz, Pascal, Boole and Babbage started the foundation of computing with their discoveries. A notable scientist with the name John Von Neuman describe computer hardware in five parts: The Central Processing Unit (CPU), Input Unit, Output Unit, Working Memory and Permanent Memory.
There are many types of Computers under these major categories namely; Personal Computers, Server Computers, Mainframe Computers. Here we will dive into Personal Computer - the most popular and commonly used which is also known as PC.
In 1981 PC - Personal Computer was established by IBM and it has had effect on communication. IBM built the PC with an Intel processor and also on Microsoft Simple Disk Operating System (MS DOS). Later on other companies like Compaq, AST etc also came into the scene and went on to develop their own hardware components.
A typical PC Unit consist of a Monitor, System Unit, Keyboard, Mouse and sometimes other peripherals like Scanners, Printers, Speakers etc.
1. CD-ROM Drive Bay,
2. Diskette Drive Bay,
3. Power and Reset Button.
4. Computer Casing
1. The Motherboard
2. The Processor
3. The Random Acess Memory (RAM),
4. Read Only Memory (ROM) chips which contain BIOS and Start-up programs.
5. Ports (PS2, USB etc)
6. Busses and Expansion slots which are for expansion cards (graphics cards, network controllers, sound and video cards, TV cards ISDN cards etc).
The Start-up and Booting processes happens when you turn the power on, you will hear the fan motor first and then the texts starts scrolling on the screen, then the RAM test, you then receive command from ROM which will give you the POST and Basic Input Output System (BIOS) instructions. The operating system is read next from the hard drive.
Personal Computers - PC's run on system software which is also known as the operating system, there are various of them in the market. The operating system works hand in hand with the BIOS which is found in the ROM chip to help communicate with the hardware with the help of device drivers.
Device drivers are group of files or program that operates or controls each device attached to the computer. Every device has its own driver that helps it function with the operating system. In order words, drivers enables hardware devices to communicate smoothly with computers operating system.
Some of the advantages include:
1. Studying Computer Engineering helps to understand the software and hardware structure, design and architecture.
2. Studying Computer Engineering helps you develop relevant engineering skills in computing.
3. Studying Computer Engineering gives engineers tremendous job security and opportunity compare to other professions because of the demand in use of computer.
4. Studying Computer Engineering helps one to acquire logical thinking and critical analysis skills.
5. It develops your technical thinking and thought process in computing.
6. It will help you develop problem solving skills.
7. It improves your knowledge in creating solutions to computer problems.
8. It helps to understand and learn techniques in computer software installation.
9. It helps you understand or troubleshoot basic computer problems.
10. It helps increase efficiency and productivity of your computer.
11. It helps to elongate the life span use of your computer.
12. It helps you to save money if you know how to fix your own computer.
13. It provides self employment opportunity
14. It provides job opportunity and security.
1. Get Your Engineering Tools such as: 2 Phillips-head (cross-shaped) Screwdriver, Set of Needle-nose pliers, Anti-static Wrist Strap, Flashlight, Electrical tape etc.
2. Get the Components of Computer or PC such as: the inside unit and outside unit i.e Case, Motherboard, Keyboard, Mouse, RAM, CDROM, Processor, CPU Cooling Fan, Hard Drive etc.
3. We first install the Motherboard shield before installing the Motherboard, then
4. We install the Processor before installing the CPU cooling fan, then
5. We install the RAM and then
6. The Graphics Card then
7. We can install other Expansion Cards followed by
8. The Storage Drives i.e Hard drive, then
9. We install Optical Drives such CD ROM followed by
10. The Power Supply Unit,
11. We can then install the Case.
12. We can now boot the computer after which,
13. We can install Operating System using a Flash Drive or CD Drive.
In the Full course you will learn everything you need to know about Computer Engineering from the Fundamentals of Building a PC, to Repairs and Maintenance. You will fully understand the Computer Structure and Architecture. You will be a Competent Computer Engineer with Diploma Certificate to showcase your knowledge and competence.
Duration: Study At Your Own Pace
Computer Engineering - Introduction To the PC
Computer Engineering - Guide to Mother board
Computer Engineering - Operating System
Computer Engineering - The RAM
Computer Engineering - The Start up Process
Computer Engineering - Setup Program
Computer Engineering - Introduction to Busses
Computer Engineering - The PCI
Computer Engineering - The PCI BUS
Computer Engineering - Clock CPU
Computer Engineering - Pentium Pro
Computer Engineering - CIRS and RISC
Computer Engineering - Chips Per Module
Computer Engineering - Pentium classic
Computer Engineering - Hard Disk
Computer Engineering - CD ROM
Computer Engineering - DVD ROM
Computer Engineering - System Software
Computer Engineering - Control of Hardware
Computer Engineering - Protect Mode
Computer Engineering - Screen Image
Computer Engineering - Refreshing Screen
Computer Engineering - Building a PC
Computer Engineering - Computer Repairs
Computer Engineering - Windows Installation
Computer Engineering - Exams and Certification
Login & Study At Your Pace
500+ Relevant Tech Courses
300,000+ Enrolled Students
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!
The Scholarship offer gives you opportunity to take our Course Programs and Certification valued at $50 USD for a reduced fee of $7 USD. - Offer Closes Soon!!
Copyrights © 2020. SIIT - Scholars International Institute of Technology. A Subsidiary of Scholars Global Tech. All Rights Reserved.
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!