BioTechnology is defined as the controlled use of biological agents and materials such as cells or cellular materials and components for advantageous use. BioTechnology is also viewed as the process of making cell and molecular biology a commercial product.
BioTechnology is also seen as a technology that is based on biology. Biotechnology fully harnesses both cellular and biomolecular processes to come up with various advanced technologies and products that help to improve our lives and the health of our planet.
Modern Biotechnology advancements came up with breakthrough products and technologies that are used to fight debilitating and rare diseases, reduce our footprint on the environment, feed the hungry, make use of lesser and much cleaner energy, and have a cleaner, safer, and more efficient industrial manufacturing processes.
Presently, there are over 250 Biotechnology health care vaccines and products that are available to patients, many for producing solutions and cures to diseases that were previously untreatable. More than 13.3 million farmers worldwide make use of various agricultural Biotechnology solutions to further increase yields of farm produce, prevent damage from pests and insects and reduce the impact of farming on the environment. Also, over 50 Biorefineries are currently being developed across North America to be used to refine and test the various technologies and to produce biofuels and chemicals which are produced from renewable biomass, that can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
1. Medical Biotechnology: This is the use of living cells and other cell materials for the purpose of improving the health of humans. It involves the science of using tools and research findings for efficient ways to maintain health, understanding pathogens and human biology. This field usually leads to the development of drugs and treatments, such as:
Vaccines: These are chemicals that stimulate the body’s immune system to better fight pathogens when they attack the body, by inserting attenuated (weakened) versions of the disease into the body’s bloodstream.
Antibiotics: Huge strides have been made in the development of antibiotics that combat pathogens for humans.
2. Agricultural Biotechnology: This focuses on developing genetically modified plants for the purpose of increasing crop yields or introducing characteristics to those plants that provide them with an advantage growing in regions that place some kind of stress factor on the plant namely weather and pests.
There are many features of Biotechnology and some of them are:
1. With Biotechnology, you would produce better tasting vegetables and fruits.
2. With Biotechnology, you would produce fruits and vegetables that retain their flavor and texture over a long period of time.
3. The study of Biotechnology helps to produce fruits, vegetables, grains or oils which further enhance health and wellbeing.
4. Biotechnology is used to grow plants with their own built-in pest resistance traits, so very few numbers of pesticides would be applied to fields.
5. Plants better able to tolerate stressful conditions such as high or low temperatures, drought and high salts in soil or water
6. Biotechnology is used to develop vaccines for animals to protect them against diseases that are in the past, not controllable.
7. Biotechnology is also used to produce pharmaceutical products, such as human insulin for diabetic patients and medicine to treat a lot of diseases.
1. Nutrient Supplementation: One of the biggest uses of biotechnology is the infusion of nutrients into food in situations such as aid. Therefore, it provides food with heavy nutrients that are necessary for such situations.
2. Abiotic Stress Resistance: There is actually very little land on earth that is arable with some estimates place it at around 20 percent. With an increase in the world’s population, there is a need for the food sources available to be as effective as possible to produce as much food in as little space as possible. There is also a need to have the crops grown to be able to make use of the less arable regions of the world.
3. Industrial Biotechnology: The industrial applications of biotechnology range from the production of cellular structures to the production of biological elements for numerous uses.
There are many benefits of Biotechnology, and some of them are;
1. The study of Biotechnology helps to reduce the rate of infectious disease in the world.
2. The Study of Biotechnology helps in saving the lives of millions of children.
3. The study of Biotechnology helps in changing the odds of very serious, and life-threatening conditions that are affecting millions of people around the world.
4. Biotechnology helps in tailoring treatments to individuals to minimize health hazards and side effects of regular drugs.
5. The knowledge of Biotechnology helps in creating tools that are more precise for the detection of diseases.
6. Biotechnology applications help with combating very serious illnesses, ailments and everyday threats that the developing world is suffering from.
1. Career Prospects: Biotechnology encompasses the pharmaceutical industry, including innovations in drug and vaccine design and regenerative medicine, as well as the biofuels industry and work in carbon sequestration and next-generation fuel production.
2. Emerging Discipline: With the world population booming, and the subsequent demand for food and fuel, intelligent agriculture and a cleaner, greener environment are some of the global challenges facing us today.
3. Increase in Earning Potential
4. Job Opportunities and Career Advancement
BioTech - Overview/Introduction
BioTech - Fundamentals of Biochemical Engineering
BioTech - Biotechnology and Society
BioTech - Building Blocks of Biomolecules—Structure and Dynamics
BioTech - Structure, and Function of Macromolecules
BioTech - Biochemical Techniques
BioTech - The Basic Unit of Life
BioTech - Cell Growth and Development
BioTech - Cellular Techniques
BioTech - The Principles of Genetics
BioTech - Genome Function
BioTech - Gene Expression
BioTech - Genetic Techniques
BioTech - Protein Structure and Engineering
BioTech - Recombinant DNA Technology
BioTech - Genomics
BioTech - Bioinformatics
BioTech - Microbial Culture and Applications
BioTech - Plant Cell Culture and Applications
BioTech - Animal-cell Culture and Applications
BioTech - Applications of Biotechnology
BioTech - Exams and Certification
Login & Study At Your Pace
500+ Relevant Tech Courses
300,000+ Enrolled Students
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!
The Scholarship offer is a discount program to take our Course Programs and Certification valued at $70 USD for a reduced fee of $7 USD. - Offer Closes Soon!!
Copyrights © 2020. SIIT - Scholars International Institute of Technology. A Subsidiary of Scholars Global Tech. All Rights Reserved.
Don't have an account? Create your account to Start Learning!