Behavior Driven Development (BDD) is an Agile Software Development process that enhances collaboration among developers, QA and or business participants in a software project.
BDD uses examples to illustrate the behavior of the system that is written in a readable and understandable language for everyone involved in the development.
At its core, Behavior Driven Development is a software development methodology that joins best practices gotten from development (TDD) and design (DDD) to simplify development through the use of a common language (DSL) to understand natural language sentences and convert them into executable tests, an example is the testing framework on ruby on rails.
The benefits of developments are countless, some of which are:
1. The user needs are achieved through software development.
2. BDD improves code quality thereby reducing the cost of maintaining the project.
3. BDD makes sure that the software is designed based on the client's business principle.
4. Teams using BDD are more confident in their code.
5. High visibility.
6. Strong collaboration.
7. It's a ubiquitous language.
8. BDD focus on user needs.
9. Better communication between developers, testers and product owners.
10. Because BDD is explained using simple language, the learning curve will be much shorter.
11. Being non-technical in nature, it can reach a wider audience.
12. The behavioral approach defines acceptance criteria prior to development.
13. You are no longer defining ‘test’, but are defining ‘behavior’.
14. BDD lets us develop, test and think about the code from the view of the business owner.
Below are some of the features of a few Behaviour Driven Development tools:
CUCUMBER: Cucumber is a test framework that supports BDD, and some of its features are:
1. Integration with all the most popular testing libraries.
2. Specifying the behavior looking at the system from the outside.
3. Defining executable specifications in different ways like lists, prose and tabular data.
4. The plain text files can be stored in any version control system.
5. Collaboration and coming up with a good and clear set of Acceptance Criteria.
JBehave is a similar alternative to Cucumber. and some of its features are:
1. Pure Java implementation, which plays well with or when interfacing any environment that exposes a Java API.
2. Users can choose and run text-based user stories, "out-in" development.
3. User stories can be written in JBehave syntax Gherkin syntax.
4. User stories can be documented via generic user-defined meta information that allows easy story filtering and into story maps.
5. Dependency Injection support allowing both configuration and Steps instances composed via your container (Guice, Needle, PicoContainer, Spring, Weld).
6.Localization of user stories, allowing them to be written in any language.
7. Groovy scripting supported for writing configuration and Steps instances
8. Pluggable step strategy. Strategies bundled in include: by priority field and by Levenshtein Distance.
9. Auto-generation of pending steps so the build is not broken missing step, but has to configure breaking build.
10. IDE integration: stories can be run as JUnit tests or unit test frameworks, providing easy integration IDE.
11. Ant integration: allows stories to be run via Ant task
12. Annotation-based binding of textual steps to Java methods, with auto-conversion of string arguments to any parameter type (including generic types) via custom parameter converters.
13. Story report format in JSON and XML, consumable by external applications.
Behavior Driven Development - Introduction
Behavior Driven Development - Development
Behavior Driven Development - TDD in a BDD Way
Behavior Driven Development - Specifications by Example
Behavior Driven Development - Tools
Behavior Driven Development - Cucumber
Behavior Driven Development - Gherkin
Behavior Driven Development - SpecFlow
Behavior Driven Development - Exams and Certification
Login & Study At Your Pace
500+ Relevant Tech Courses
300,000+ Enrolled Students
The Scholarship offer gives you opportunity to take our Course Programs and Certification valued at $50 USD for a reduced fee of $7 USD - Offer Closes Soon!!
Copyrights © 2019. SIIT - Scholars International Institute of Technology. A Subsidiary of Scholars Global Tech. All Rights Reserved.